Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Help Me! I'm Stuck!!

As my passion for discovering vintage miniature perfume bottles increases and my collection grows, invariably I will find the perfect French glass perfume bottle; only to find the beautiful crystal stopper is stuck! Has that ever happened to you?

Not to fret! I have found a solution that works to get those stubborn stoppers unstuck!
It is simple, effective and safe.

Simply go to your medicine cabinet or your local pharmacy for a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Fill a tiny glass jar or even a shot glass with a small amount of rubbing alcohol and place the stuck bottle upside down into the jar. Of course if it is a larger bottle you would adjust the size of your jar!

If the perfume bottle has it's original label you must be so careful not to submerge the label. The trick is to get the neck with stopper portion only into the alcohol ... please note in my photo. If the bottle has no label like mine, it is clear sailing!


Now be very, very patient... this may take several days to a week or more! But it works, it really does! I remove the bottle daily, dry it and carefully twist the stopper with a clean thin towel. Even the most obstinate stoppers eventually give up!

Here is the caveat: some of the alcohol may leach into the bottle so if you wish to salvage the perfume, this method may not be your solution. You may prefer just to dab alcohol around the stopper to see if that will help it budge.  

Good luck with your precious bottles!  I hope you have enjoyed my little perfume bottle first aid tip!
Happy Collecting! xo

To see my collection of miniature perfumes for sale on ETSY please click the link:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/MiladyLinden/search?search_query=glass+perfume&order=date_desc&view_type=gallery&ref=shop_search


0 comments:

Post a Comment