Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The charm of vintage charms


You + Me = Love Sterling Charm
Sterling Puffy Heart I Love U!
I Love You Key Ring Sterling Charm
Sterling Padlock Heart Charm
My love affair with vintage sterling charms was serendipitous! On a day trip to Chautauqua Lake, there was an antique store ... the kind you can while away hours with case after case of treasures.  

And, there it was! A 1940's charm bracelet chock full of mechanical charms. I was enchanted; amongst the sweet charms were a candy box opening to reveal faux chocolate candy, hat box with hat, a black forest cuckoo clock, birthday cake with candles that popped up.  

The charms piqued my curiosity, I read and learned about these fascinating charms which were all the rage during World War II Era.  Perhaps a memento enclosed within a letter from a sweetheart taking months to arrive, so unlike the instantaneous communication of today. Just imagine how patient a gal would have to be while waiting for that priceless note! And, just envision the whimsical delight of receiving a puffy heart or a mechanical charm such as one of the charms pictured! 

For generations charm bracelets have been worn by women to signify important or memorable occasions. These tiny keepsakes become historical family heirlooms which are passed down. They share personal stories of beliefs, hobbies, interest, love as well as travel memorabilia. 

Its hard for me to resist vintage charms! Isn't it easy to see how I adore these charms of yesteryear?  xo

Please click to view vintage charms in my Etsy shop:  https://www.etsy.com/your/listings?shipping_profile_id=&search_query=vintage+love+charms





0 comments:

Post a Comment